Saturday, November 1, 2014

Canines With A Cause

Deseret News


A few months ago, I read about a great new charitable organization based in Park City, Utah. Canines With a Cause takes dogs from shelters and works with prison inmates to train them as service dogs for veterans.

I love my dog--I love playing with him, petting him, and taking him for walks. He sleeps on my bed. He's happy to see me when I get home--he rushes up to me with his tail wagging. He makes me laugh and can cheer me up--he even gives me hugs when I ask him to. It amazes me how much a dog as a companion does.

When I was younger, our family trained puppies for Guide Dogs for the Blind. This gave me a small window into the world of service dogs. I learned about how the dogs would need to learn to stay on task perfectly, ignoring food on the ground, animals, people, and other distractions. They would need to guide people around obstacles--including being aware of what is above themselves but still an obstacle for the person walking with them. When they are told "sit," they have to sit every time. When they are told "down," they need to lay down every time. They are incredible dogs.

In sum, I am amazed by the healing, loving power dogs have as well as their incredible capacity to learn and serve. I love that this organization is working to harness the incredible gift of animals--rescuing the dogs themselves, giving meaningful, healing work for prisoners, and offering needed support for veterans who have suffered in the service of our country. What a wonderful organization.

Check It Out:



No comments:

Post a Comment